Friday, November 9, 2007

Broken or Happy

I just finished watching one more rerun of The Parent Trap for the upteenth time. And something caught my eye - the last two images at the end of the film are not of Haley Mills or of any of the other characters, but of two cross stitched banners. The first says "Bless Our Broken Home". As it fades out, a new banner appears, "Bless Our Happy Home".

I suppose that it might seem easy to say that we each have one or the other. In fact, the film might seem to hint that the core family had moved from the first to the second. It might seem that some would argue if we have not put the "broken" family away and become a "happy" family, then something is wrong.

But, it would seem to me, that the real truth lies in recognizing that the healthiest home is really both, rather than one or the other. After all, Scripture teaches that we are broken people and broken people live in broken homes. However, with God's grace, we can be happy even as we are broken.

My prayer is that I would continue to be happy with my family, even as I learn to place my brokenness in the hands of Jesus. May the same be true for you.

Yours because His,

Pastor Patrick

No comments: