Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Les Miserables (Focus on the Family) Radio Drama - A Review




A Review

It has been an exciting Winter with the musical version of the Les Miserables coming to theaters on Christmas Day and a re-release of the radio drama done several years ago by Focus on the Family.  

Though I had heard snippets of the radio drama in the past, I had never taken the opportunity to listen to the entire show.  I found the story, as presented by Focus on the Family, drawing me in.  Presented as about thirty 3 to 7 minute chapters on 3 CDs, the story moved along quite fast - with enough breaks to allow the listener to maintain his interest while moving through the three hour drama.  Occasionally, the breaks between chapters cut through a speakers last syllable, but not so the word was entirely lost.  

I began listening to this presentation on an Amtrak train between upstate New York and Atlanta, GA.  My wife and I used a splitter with dual earphones - both listening simultaneously.  She commented that it was hard for her to follow the story.  Later, when I returned to the presentation alone, I found no such problem - enjoying the transition from chapter to chapter.

As always, the story is one of transformation and grace.  These are lessons that are harder for some to learn than others - perhaps never learned by others.  May Les Miserables, whether on paper, in the theater, on the radio, or via a CD, teach each of us that God can use us regardless of how broken and bitter we have become.    
______________
This review is based on a free CD copy of this radio play provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.  

No comments: