Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Winterthorn - A Review




Winterthorn


by
David R. Phillips


A Review


Winterthorn is a continuation of the Fairy World stories begun in the author’s earlier work, Gliserwood.  It, like the previous work, has the feel of reading The Wizard of Oz for the first time - magical, mysterious, and attention grabbing. I was certainly glad that I had taken the time to read the first book in the series as it introduced the reader to many of individuals and species that are part of this second book.  Having said that, this second book adds new characters, species, and history that make this make believe world come alive to the reader.


As we learn more of Laurel’s heritage and the reason the Fairy World seems so much like home.  At the same time, the Fairy World if facing its worst crisis as a group of rebellious beings try to redefine the very world they have called home.  Laurel and her new friends will need to step forward and help save the environment that has become home.


My first comments to myself, as I began to read this book, included the following thoughts:


  1. I am glad I had read the first book.
  2. The author has matured as a writer - there is an obvious improvement in the style and approach the author has taken has he puts words to paper.

It was a pleasure to again visit the fairy world and walk with Laurel and her friends as they seek to understand the events around them.  I am already looking forward to the third part of this trilogy.
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the author for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: