Monday, August 24, 2015

NKJV Foundation Study Bible - A Review




NKJV Foundation
Study Bible






A Review

This new study Bible does have a number of features which allow it to stand out:

  1. I have always enjoyed the NKJV – the use of this translation adds value to this new book.
  2. The notes are extensive – opening to random pages revealed six to twelve notes on facing pages – nine being average for the pages I checked.
  3. The presence of both study notes and theological notes were of interest – though the distinction between the two is not always clear in content or format (see below).
  4. The more distinctive feature for the theological notes are the included indexes – both in Biblical or and in topical order.
  5. The typical Bible Concordance and colored Maps were also present. Though common to study Bibles, their absence would have been clearly seen.
But what should have been a well-done study Bible seems less than useful to this reader. A number of factors contribute to this conclusion:
  1. The study notes are “based on the notes originally prepared for The NKJV Study Bible”, but include no indication of how they may or may not differ from that original book.
  2. Theological notes, which I assumed to be new, are supposedly written in a different font from other notes. This difference is not significant enough to enable this reader to distinguish “Theological” notes from “Study” notes. It may have been more useful to use a serif font for the theological notes.
  3. The hard cover book which I was provided uses a very small print for a study bible. Though readable in bright light, trying to read by anything but a bright light is difficult at best. I was tempted to grab a magnifying glass as I prepared this review.
I am pleased to have this study Bible in my possession – but it will probably not be the first such Bible I consult. Does it have value? Yes. Does it have great value? I do not think so. Having said that, I am reminded that, “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” [Is. 55:11 NKJV] I am convinced that God will use it in His way and in His time.
______________


This review is based on a free copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: