Friday, May 4, 2012

Billy Graham in Quotes - A Review





by
Billy Graham
Collected by Franklin Graham
with Donna Lee Toney

A Review
*

I grew up with Billy Graham coming into my household.  Year after year each of his quarterly crusades were turned on and listen to over the TV set in our living room.  I finally was able to hear him preach in person in 1982.  Earlier this year I was privileged to review the 2012 Christian Book of the Year, Billy Graham’s Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well.  It is a privilege to now review the most recent book of Billy Graham quotations, Billy Graham in Quotes.

As the title indicates, the book is a collection of quotations taken from both published and unpublished sources.  Quotes are collected into some 108 different categores - beginning with “Adoption” and ending with “Young People”.  Each category begins with a single scripture verse and then includes 10 to 20 quotations - on target and of interest to this reader.  Billy Graham’s wide experience and knowledge allow him to provide genuine insight to the world in which we live.  

Though I will not take the route of one reviewer and read through this book chapter by chapter, I will, as a pastor, keep a copy of this book close during my sermon preparation.  Though the copy I am reviewing was provided free of charge, I am considering purchasing a copy for use with my prefered Bible software program.  

On the other hand, I could see using the selected quotes as the basis of for a topic based devotional study - studying the scriptures along with reading the thoughts of this man of God.  If I have concern with the book - it is the minimal amount of scripture included in the book.  Most people would consider Billy Graham a man of The Book; yet as he speaks to some of the most important issues of our times, there is little scripture.  It is left to the reader to find the relevant scriptures for each topic.  Not a bad exercise, but an unnecessary one.   
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments: