Aimed at the pre-teen or young teen crowd, this devotional Bible is readable and draws the reader into the stories that have become foundational to the faith of children in Sunday School. Rather than telling the reader what the lessons are from the story, the devotionals begin to guide the reader to draw their own conclusions from scripture.
The book consists of 52 stories told in the form of a comic based on an event in scripture taken from the new edition of the Action Bible (2010).
Each devotional page is divided into eight sections -
- A Key Verse from the Biblical source is provided
- A devotional that connects the story to the reader's life is provided
- Three suggestions for applying the scripture the readers life - with the suggestion that one or more of the suggestions be tried
- Three questions that force the reader to process the Bible story that he has read
- Space is provided for the reader to provide a personal response
- Ideas are provided to share the lessons learned with others
- Pages are provided for allowing those with a creative side to express themselves artistically
Though aimed at a teen audience, the questions raised are as valid for the adult reader as they are for the teen. If they were to be repackaged into study pages alongside a well-done modern translation, they could hold the attention of a new believer, at the very least, and some mature Christians looking for renewed insight into how the Scripture, as well.
It may be time to challenge your faith - or to give the opportunity to your teen to challenge his or her own faith.
This review is based on a free electronic copy of this book provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are mine alone.