Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Morbid Taste for Bones - A Review




A Morbid Taste for Bones


by
Ellis Peters
(aka Edith Pargeter)

A Review

It has been years since I first heard of Brother Cadfael - a character on the PBS (nee BBC) TV series of the same name.  I had enjoyed the TV series; but in the middle of its American TV run, I could not get myself interested in the books that preceded the TV show.   Knowing that, I still thought I would give the books another shot when I found that they were being reissued and available for review.
I am glad I did so.   Brother Cadfael is sent, with a group of five additional Benedictine monks across England to recover the bones of St. Winifred for final internment at Shrewsbury Abbey in Western England.  The entire trip suspicious in that there is no obvious reason to move the saints remain except it will ultimately benefit Abbot Heribert and Prior Robert and their careers.  It takes the scientific and worldly knowledge of Brother Cadfael to discover the truth and to get to the bottom of the murder of Welshman Rhisiart, the one man who would prevent the transfer of the Saint's bones from Wales to the English Abbey.
The story held this reader's interest.  A bit more polished than most cozy mysteries, it still fill the need for many reader's need for a late night read.  The slight hint of romance will draw other readers to this book and those that follow.  This reader will look forward to the future re-release of more from the 20 books that make up the "Cadfael Chronicles".
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy of the book provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: