Monday, November 24, 2014

The Shadow Now - A Review







A Review


It was 45 years ago, sitting in my bedroom listening to a recycled military radio that I heard “The Shadow” being broadcast from a San Francisco radio station.  Even then, the shows were old.  TV (alas, in black and white) was firmly in place and held more of my family’s attention than the radio did - but those old radio shows caught my attention.  Among my favorites, then and now, was “The Shadow”.


The Shadow has occasionally made his appearance in modern culture - either on the big screen, in print, or in a graphic novel.  It is this last format that David Liss and Colton Worley have chosen to bring The Shadow into our current time.  Having spent decades in the East learning anti-aging techniques from the great mystical leaders of another culture, The Shadow returns to New York City once again oppressed by the evil and sinister mobs that he had previously worked to destroy.  


In order to maintain his disguise,  the rejuvenated Lamont Cranston assumes the role of his own grandson and teams up, somewhat reluctantly, with the very real granddaughter of his former assistant, Margo Lane.  As I began to read, I was not sure what to expect; but I was not disappointed.  There were new criminals and some old ones that would take all of the cunning and planning of The Shadow and his crew to resolve.


I could not put the book down until I got to the last page.  Now I cannot wait for its next chapter to be released.  A huge thanks to the authors for making my day and allowing me to re-enjoy a bit of my childhood again in the 21st century.   
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.


No comments: