Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Holy Bible: Christian Standard Bible Ultrathin Leathertouch Edition - A Review

CSB Ultrathin.jpg

A Review

Though a new translation, it is easy to read. Though a “faithful and true” translation, the text reads more like a paraphrase. This makes it a fun and enjoyable version to pick up and read. Let me provide one example of the text provided, using a familiar passage: Psalm 23

Psalm 23  A psalm of David.


1 The Lord is my shepherd;
        I have what I need.
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures;
        he leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He renews my life;
        he leads me along the right paths
        for his name’s sake.
4 Even when I go through the darkest valley,
        I fear no danger,
       for you are with me;
       your rod and your staff ​— ​they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
       in the presence of my enemies;
      you anoint my head with oil;
      my cup overflows.
6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
      all the days of my life,
      and I will dwell in  the house of the Lord
      as long as I live.

My biggest concern for this edition (other editions will vary) is the small print used, though the paper makes it easier to read than one might expect.

Created by the same people who created the Holman Christian Standard Bible, it is unclear as to the connection the two translations have to each other. An early rumor suggested there was a conflict with the use of the name “Christian Standard Bible”. The “Introduction” to the translation says,

Working with the original languages, an executive team of translators edited, polished, and reviewed the final manuscript, which was first published as the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) in 2004.

A standing committee was also formed to maintain the HCSB translation and look for ways to improve readability without compromising accuracy. As with the original translation team, the committee that prepared this revision of the HCSB, renamed the Christian Standard Bible, is international and interdenominational, comprising scholars who honor the inspiration and authority of God’s written word.

As the pastor/chaplain of a small conservative group of believers that meet in the common room of a local senior apartment complex, this Bible is not likely to become my standard preaching Bible. However, as I have found the HCSB to be occasionally helpful, I would expect this to be true of this latest update as well. I will look forward to using it for reference and for insight to the meaning of the text.

The text, itself, is already available electronically both as an app and in several Bible Software packages. It has not yet made it into LOGOS Bible Software, though it is listed as being “In Production”; I am anxious to see it in my preferred Bible study program.
______________

This review is based on a free copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: