Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dog Gone, Back Soon - A Review









James Harriott Moves to Vermont


I thought I was picking up a veterinary medical thriller.  I was not disappointed, but Dog God, Back Soon was not the medical thriller I thought it was.  


Nick Trout’s latest book is a gentle walk through rural Vermont when a veterinary pathologist, Cyrus Mills, leaves his state job in South Carolina to take over the small (read very small) veterinary practice run by his father.  The doc must quickly learn he is now dealing with people not dead animals.  Those people might be risk-taking boyfriends or wierd farmers or elderly dog owners.  Diseases ranges from Cannabis poisoning to Mad Cow Disease.  In the midst of caring for people and animals, Dr. Mills finds himself, much to his surprise, falling for an ineligible young woman.   


The biggest shock comes as Dr. Mills discovers that a new chain store vet service has opened its doors across the lake - an office with the latest in technology and “service”, service that comes at a cost.  Both the vet and the office manager raise big questions about the ethics behind the large clinics behavior.  


I found myself pulled into the story - not so much because of the drama, but because of the characters, both human and otherwise.  Living in upstate New York, I could picture the cruel winters depicted in the story.  Having lived in small town America, I understood some of the relationships depicted by Nick Trout.  I was so intrigued with this book (which I received free from the publisher) that I went and purchased its prequel.  I will also look forward to reading any forthcoming sequels that may proceed from the author’s pen.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.



No comments: