Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Assassins Code - A Review







A Review

If I had known where Assassins Code was going before I started it, I would not have chosen to review the book.  And though, now that I do know more about the book and author and will not intentionally read another,  I have to admit that I did enjoy the book.

Several elements caught my intention when I originally requested to review the book -

  1. The book was a thriller - a genre I generally enjoy.
  2. The location of most the book is the Middle East.
  3. The religious undertones of the book were inviting to this reader

However, once I began seeing hints of vampires and zombies (from a previous book), I began having my own doubts about the book.  However, Assassin’s Code continued to draw me in and I found myself interested in the characters and relationships developed in the book.

As Maberry writes, he integrates the concerns of Islam, Judaism, and Catholicism - along with an army of vampires - into a believable (though clearly fictional) story.  

Joe Ledger is an experienced member of the armed forces and trained investigator - yet he is caught by surprise at the enemy which he and his team now face.  As he explores the legends (true and false) which define much of our knowledge of the Catholic Church and vampires as presented in literature from a variety of cultures, Ledger learns a great deal about the “real” vampires he is encountering.  

The story held my attention, the characters were believable, at least within the confines of the story, and writer is a skilled artisan.  I read the book through to the end - I wonder “How many brownie points do I have now?”   
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.  

No comments: