Monday, October 31, 2016

25 Questions God Asked - A Review






25 Questions God Asked.jpg


A Review

Every so often a gem of a book crosses my path. This week it has happened twice - this is the first of two books I am glad to have in my library that I may have passed over if I were not regularly reviewing books. The Christian Scriptures contain over 3000 questions, nearly 14% of these were asked by God. The author has pulled 25 of those questions that God asked to write a powerful and useful devotional.

First, let me raise the only major question I have - why 25? Why not 30 or 31 (one month), why not 260 (one a day for each weekday of the year), or why not 365 (one for each day of the year)? Twenty-five is a round number, but it seems arbitrary, given a set of 3000 possible questions to pull from. I suppose, the real issue is that the book is so well-written, that I wish there were more. Perhaps there will be more to come.

Each devotional consists of a nicely written essay and a series of study questions to allow the reader  further look at himself and at God. The questions are open ended - as most good questions are. The devotionals are both exegetical and personal:

“Did God throw up His hands when He asked, “What more could have been done for my vineyard than I have done for it?” (Isaiah 5:4)”

The reader will be challenged to examine his or her own life by each of the 25 short chapters in this short (225 page) book. The reader will also be challenged to allow God to examine his or her life - the reader will not be able to sit still as as he or she makes her way through this book.

As I wrote earlier, 25 questions is not enough - we can only hope that there will be more to come from this thoughtful author.
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: