Sunday, January 26, 2020

Snoopy First Beagle in Space - A Review









Peanuts and Charlie Brown were among my goto Sunday comics back in the ’60s and ’70s. The local paper placed the cartoon on the front page of its full-color section of the paper. My dad would grab the front section; I would grab the weekly comics from the Sunday paper. And there was Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and friends, on the top of the cover of that precious section. Though I no longer receive a paper copy of our local paper (I do subscribe to a digital copy) and no longer have access to Snoopy and the gang, he is still among my favorite strips.

Though a large section of this collection of strips does pick up the theme of Snoopy in space, it certainly does not represent the entire collection. The entire gang is here. The ARC that I received did not indicate the original dates of the included material; thus there is no way of knowing whether they were pulled randomly from available strips or represent a particular year or sequence. As can be seen, color has been added to what may have been B/W strips when originally presented. 

It was fun (and I found myself laughing) to watch this group of kids, dogs, and birds (yep, Woodstock is here too) interacting, teasing, and, occasionally, helping each other. I great gift for those who love Charlie Brown or to introduce him to those unfamiliar with his contribution to 20th-century culture. I now want to go back and examine others in this 14 book collection.

______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: