Monday, December 27, 2021

The Maid - A Review



The Maid


by

Nita Prose

A Review

I am your maid. I’m the one who cleans your hotel room, who enters like a phantom when you’re out gallivanting for the day, no care at all about what you’ve left behind, the mess, or what I might see when you’re gone.

I’m the one who empties your trash, tossing out the receipts you don’t want anyone to discover. I’m the one who changes your sheets, who can tell if you slept in them and if you were alone last night or not. I’m the one who straightens your shoes by the door, who puffs up your pillows and finds stray hairs on them. Yours? Not likely. I’m the one who cleans up after you drink too much and soil the toilet seat, or worse.

When I’m done with my work, I leave your room pristine. Your bed is made perfectly, with four plump pillows, as though no one had ever lain there. The dust and grime you left behind has been vacuumed into oblivion. Your polished mirror reflects your face of innocence back at you. It’s as though you were never here. It’s as though all of your filth, all of your lies and deceits, have been erased.

I am your maid. I know so much about you. But when it comes down to it: what is it that you know about me? (The Maid, “Prologue”)


Murder, drug dealing, revenge, and humor, combine to make a readable mystery that ends with a surprising twist. The first person narrator tells the story as she moves in and out of the rooms assigned to her. Cleaning, dusting, mopping, bringing the room once again to the perfection that Mr. Snow, the hotel manager, expects from all his employees. There is much that she knows but will not tell. The result is a story that will hold the reader’s attention from the “Prologue” to the “Epilogue”. The book gets 4-½ stars.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are mine alone.



No comments: