Monday, August 20, 2012

Soul's Gate - A Review



by

James I. Rubart

A Review

Soul’s Gate was the worst book that I ended up enjoying.  Though I knew the author’s history of writing stories that depended on a certain amount of fantasy to convey his message, I found it difficult for the first half of the book to distinguish between reality and fantasy.  It left me concerned about the foundational belief system of the author.



As I continued to read, I became increasingly aware that the book was an allegory with the same connection to reality as John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress.  Once that distinction was made, the book began to teach me about my faith.  I suspect if I had made this observation earlier, the book might have been even more insightful.  Thus, the reader of the book must approach it as allegory, not as a snapshot of reality. 

Having crossed that bridge, I enjoyed the book and recommend it with caution.  Throughout the course of the text the reader is introduced to the darker side of life as they view a spiritual war from the inside looking out.  Using teleportation and the ability to move into another person’s soul, the team of characters (called The Warriors Riding) force each other to examine their own faiths and learn to depend on God to get them through the most difficult situations.  And in doing so, the author teaches spiritual lessons that go beyone the fantasy world he has created.
_____________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.  


No comments: