Thursday, August 9, 2012



by
Christopher Nolan, et al


A Review

It has been an exciting 24 hours as I had the opportunity to explore the screenplays for the three Dark Knight films based on the comic book character, Batman.

The screenplays read like a novel - they are easy to follow, fun to digest, and present (re-present?) a story that captivated me when I first watched the movies in 2005, 2008, and 2012.  I should note that the Kindle presentation did not come across as a script - though when read as a PDF, using Adobe Digital Editions, it becomes obvious that the book is a script.  Though I only received my copy of the book yesterday, I could not stop reading till I got to the end.

But it was not the screenplays alone that made the book an interesting read.  Along with the screenplays are an extended interview with the story’s authors (Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, and David S. Goyer) and the co-producer of the films (Jordan Goldberg).  Understanding the emotions, the motivation, and ideals that formed these movies added a bit of life to them, that I had not seen before.

The other extras, added to the book, were the three storyboards (one per movie) added to the end of each script.  A snippet of the action (drawn much like a comic book presentation) added new life to the script.  One felt as if they were being drawn into the process of creating each film - if only for a moment.  

The scripts, the interview, and the storyboards, make for a valuable book - a book that is as exciting to read as the movies were to watch.  
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.  



No comments: