Monday, September 9, 2013

5 Things You Can Do To Have A Stronger Family - A Review







A Review

There are no perfect families.”  With that bold (literally) statement, the author begins this book. My first thought was to refute it by having the world look at my own family, but I decided that would only prove the author’s point.  I know without a doubt, that the author is correct.  A number of years ago, after reading another self-help book, I decided that the following syllogism is true:

I’m not okay.
You’re not okay.
And that is okay.

I suspect that the same could be said of families, hence, “There are no perfect families.”

Having decided on the truth of the statement, the author concludes that all families, regardless of how strong they may be, could be stronger, could be better.  Scott Seidler presents us with five strategies that can be used to strengthen our families.  The five strategies are summed up by the chapter titles:

  1. Live by the Creed
  2. Honor Our Creator’s Creation
  3. Embrace Forgiveness without Apology
  4. Adding Fuel to the Family Mission
  5. Rest from Each Other and with Each Other

The extension of each of these concepts into the family provide a strong foundation for a growing family.  Though the author comes down on the need to abide by the Apostle’s Creed - the same same could be true for the family who chooses to abide by the scriptures (which, by the way, are briefly summed up by the Apostle’s Creed).  It forms the foundation for our faith in Christ, and, thus, the way in which we live our lives.

I learned the lesson of the last chapter on a difficult night in Kearney, NE.  My wife and I had gone for a walk, but in the process we got into a disagreement (better known as an argument).  She decided to go home on her own.  Having forgotten to bring her keys, she asked for (no, she demanded) my keys.  I refused.  I let her return home the way we had come.

Rather than taking our regular route home, I took a shorter trip - so she would not need to sit alone outside the house for an extended period of time.  She was there when I walked up to the front door.  I had let her go - but you know what, she stayed.  Now, for forty years she has stayed.  We need time together and we need time alone.  It was true 25 years ago, it is true today.  It was true for our family - it is true for all families.

Couples talk about taking their relationship to the next level.  Where do they go once they have committed themselves to a marriage - where do they find the next level.  This book is one place to begin that journey.  May we each find ways to take our families to the NEXT level.
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy of this book provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are mine alone.  

No comments: