Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sharing Christ With The Dying - A Review







A Review

It was 40+ years ago that I was given the advice that unless someone came to Christ as a teen (or before) the odds of he or she doing so were practically nil.  Now as I approach retirement and having served as the part-time pastor/chaplain for a group of seniors at a senior apartment complex, I have learned the falsehood of the statement I heard so many years ago.  

But, I am not alone.  Melody Rossi in her book Sharing Christ With The Dying discusses that very truth.  All of us know someone who is dying - in fact, everyone is dying and needs to meet the Savior.  
This helpful book is as much a guide to ministering to those who are dying as it is a guide for those who are aging in their own right.  Having worked with this audience for over ten years and am now the target of this book, I found the book helpful, encouraging, and supportive.  The book not only provides guidance in sharing the gospel, but also in ministering with the elderly.  

The book is practical - not just theoretical or spiritual.  It discusses what to expect from the various services available to the elderly, suggestions for setting boundaries for the caregivers, and what to expect as you work with other just prior to and after death.

Scripture plays a major role in preparing the heart, of the dying or loved ones, for death.  Ms. Rossi has done an excellent job of integrating God’s word into her practical advice.  I am considering using some of those scriptures as the basis for a sermon series next fall.  In doing so, I and my congregation will be better prepared for our future.

Thank you Melody Rossi for contributing to my understanding of death and dying.
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: