Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Dreaming Spies - A Review




Dreaming Spies




by
Laurie R. King


A Review


I do not claim to be a Sherlock Holmes expert, merely a fan.  Though the original author of Holmes’ memoirs died in 1930, other writers have picked up the pen and continued to add to the unofficial canon that make up Holmes’ history.  Among those is Laurie R. King.


Dreaming Spies continues her look at Holmes’ marriage to Mary Russell - this time with a romp to Japan and the Far East and an adventure in early 20th century England. The mystery is quite entertaining, it is unclear who plays the role of detective and of villain.  Is it Holmes that is being played - or has Holmes played one of the villain himself.  


Though the answer is never quite clear, the story of English mystery mixed with Japanese Samurai makes an enjoyable read on a Winter evening.  


  • Was this the best Holmes story I have read?  NO
  • Was this the worst Holmes story I have read?  NO
  • Would I recommend this to the casual Holmes reader? YES
  • Would I recommend this to the Holmes expert?  I Don’t Know
______________

This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: