Thursday, March 11, 2021

A Deadly Chapter - A Review

 



A Deadly Chapter



by

Essie Lang


A Review


A Deadly Chapter should have been a great cozy mystery:
  • Set in a well-known vacation spot in Upstate NY - the 1000 Islands
  • A boathouse serves as the protagonist’s home
  • She owns (or is part owner of) two book stores
  • There is a castle
  • There is a cat
  • And there is a murder
Having said that, I found the book a less than enthusiastic read. It had a very slow start, though it picked up its pace toward the end. The setting was not as descriptive as one might hope for a beautiful area of the country - the same might be said for the abundance of characters to whom the reader is introduced. And rather than keeping me alert, wanting more, I found myself falling asleep while reading - not a good sign.

This is the third book in the “Castle Bookshop Mysteries” series with a promise of more to come. I was not so put off that I do not want to read more, but this book was not the finest cozy mystery I have read. I give it 3-½ stars.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions are mine alone.

No comments: