Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Letters to the Church:
A Survey of Hebrews and the General Epistles

by

Karen H. Jobes

A Review

Karen H. Jobes does for commentaries what Zondervan's Encyclopedia of the Bible did for Bible dictionaries. Besides the usual textual notes, the book is full of aids helping in understanding the lives, the purpose, and intent of the original author. Beside a great deal of insets (as expected in a modern commentary), the text contains a great many full color images augmenting the text.

When I chose to review this book, I had hoped that it would include a commentary on the book of I John, the book I am currently studying for our Sunday services. Sadly, this was the abbreviation in the copy provided for the review. The commentary on Hebrews was readable. Issues of authorship and dating were broadly and fairly discussed. I will look forward to adding this commentary to my library when in is published later this year.

The review was prepared from an abbreviated electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of this review.

No comments: