Monday, February 22, 2021

Manga Classics: Les Misérables - A Review




Manga Classics:
Les Misérables



by

Victor Hugo

Art by:
SunNeko Lee

Story Adaption by:
Crystal Silvermoon


A Review


I grew up with Superman and Batman comics. When I pick up a Manga Comic, I need to remind myself of two things. First, all writing is from right-to-left, This includes the paging which means reading from the “back” of the book to the “front”. It also means that each page must be read from right to left. Once the reader has made it through a couple of pages, this change is easy enough to handle. Second, Manga artwork rarely includes color - it is all black and white (and occasionally gray).

That being said, this adaption makes for a wonderful way to tell the classic Victor Hugo story of a redeemed convict (originally charged with stealing a loaf of bread) and the impact he had on the world and people around him. Even as read this graphical adaption, I was sometimes moved to tears as I saw God’s grace at work among broken people.

Whether the reader is a fan of Manga or new to the genre (as I am), this story comes with a strong recommendation. I give the book 5-stars.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions are mine alone.

 




No comments: