Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Philippians: A Biblical Study - A Review




Philippians

A Biblical Study  



by

Joyce Meyer


A Review

Joyce Meyer has prepared a nicely done devotional/Bible Study on the book of Philippians. 


This book crossed my path just as I was preparing for a group study of Philippians in my local church. I expect it will contribute to my thoughts as I prepare for each weeks study.


After a brief study of the setting and recipients of Paul’s letter, she offers 14 studies on the entire book of Philippians. Most of the studies are 4-6 pages in length though a few are much shorter. Studies include sections for reading and one or two questions requiring personal reflection. My only concern is the lack of a Scripture Index as the author often draws from verses in Philippians outside the current context as well as from the entire Bible at times.


The devotions are practical - often giving explicit instructions to follow when applying the scripture. The book could easily be used for individual study. However, because a few (very few) are shorter, the reader might want to consider combining some studies for group use. I give the book 3-1/2 stars.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions are mine alone.







No comments: