Saturday, May 22, 2021

Pastor As Counselor - A Review

 



Pastor As Counselor



by

David Powlison

A Review


I picked up this book hoping to do a quick scan of the book before writing my review. I, instead, ended up reading this 80 page monograph and being pleasantly surprised. The book consists of two chapters, the first details the difference between pastoral counseling and traditional secular counseling. The second chapter outlines the unique elements that Christian counseling has to offer to broken people.

As a seminary graduate, I wished I had access to this content as I took my pastoral counseling course; as a pastor, I would have liked to have had this book available to help shape my thoughts as I interacted with my congregants; this book would have been helpful as I completed my Masters in Counseling at a state university (with two committed Christians on the faculty). Even now, 25 years after completing my education, I am glad to have access to this material for reference and review.

The author has drawn from saints across the ages: Gregory the Great, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, C. S. Lewis, Thomas C. Oden, Richard Baxter, Sally Lloyd-Jones, et al. He is also not afraid from using help from more secular counselors when appropriate (e.g. Freud, Satir, and Ellis). The book concludes with an extensive bibliography and scripture index - both of which add value to the book.

I would think every pastor, every Christian counselor, and every believer involved in helping others would find encouraging material in this small book. Even the introduction, written by a friend of the author, contains valuable thoughts. I give the book five stars.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are mine alone.



No comments: